Diabetes is a condition in which the body’s pancreas doesn’t produce insulin and insulin is a hormone that helps in the entry of sugar into the cells of the body. In diabetes, the sugar or glucose accumulates in the blood. Some patients do not have any symptoms since this condition occurs gradually. But some may experience dry mouth, frequent urination, not gaining weight etc. Check your fasting blood sugar to check whether you have diabetes or not.
If your fasting blood sugar reaches 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L) or higher, then this means that you probably have diabetes. There are many complications which diabetes can lead to like gum disease, poor healing of wounds, heart disease, stroke, nerve problems, foot problems, cataract, kidney diseases etc.
The following are the best tips for prevention and control diabetes that you can follow:
- Choose healthy foods and diet low in sugar and fat.
- Move more and exercise regularly. Walk, run or jog daily.
- Lose excess weight as it can help with controlling diabetes.
- Get regular check-ups for blood sugar and visit your doctor every month.
- Keep your blood pressure and cholesterol levels under control.