Anxiety is a psychiatric problem which is very common among adults and sometimes even children. Anxiety can be treated with medication as well as psychotherapy. Anxiety is mainly caused due to the depletion of Serotonin in the brain and the treatments for anxiety mainly involve procedures which help in increasing the content of Serotonin.
- Prescription of proper medicines given by a Psychotherapist can help in increasing Serotonin in the brain, which can in turn reduce Anxiety.
- Therapists use SSRI which is a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, which helps increase the Serotonin level in the brain, thus reducing anxiety.
- Medicines to cure Anxiety problems are started at a very low dose and the amount is gradually increased, later making the dose optimum.
- The duration of medication depends on the severity of the problem and also the success of the medicines on the patient and the progress he is showing.
- There are a lot of myths associated with the consumption of SSRI and other anti depressants, especially with respect to the side effects they cause but the newer anti-depressants and anti-psychotics have a very low ranking side effect profile and they do not cause any side effects to the medication taker.