The first and the most important step towards breaking a bad habit is to accept that the habit is bad and acquire a motivation to change. This makes it way easier to break the habit. Below given are some things to remember which will make you break a bad habit easily.
- Take in charge of the situation and be responsible towards the bad habit of yours and making the changes.
- Do not blame the surrounding for the bad habit. Instead, examine yourself and find out why you have indulged in practicing the habit.
- It is said that if you maintain the habit for 21 days, it stays for life. Hence, try avoiding the consistency in the initial stage of acquiring any bad habit.
- Set a goal to achieve and break it into small tasks which are measurable as well as achievable and time bound.
- Set a time bound deadline for yourself in order to work towards achieving a particular change.
- Reward yourself for the smallest change which you experience.
- Keep a journal and record the progress which you make gradually so that you understand the changes which have taken place in your habits.