Menopause is a natural phenomenon occurring in women between 45 -55 years. It marks the end of the fertile period and certain changes takes place during this phase as the ovaries produce less estrogen hormones in the body. Just before the onset of menopause women suffer from certain physical and psychological symptoms.
The physical symptoms are:
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Sore breasts
- Muscle aches
- Dry vagina
- Heart palpitations
- Hot flushes
- Sensitive skin
- Heavy sweating
- Dry hair and hair loss
- Thinning of the skin because of the reduced hormonal levels
- Among other symptoms are painful sexual intercourse, loss of libido, vaginal discharge, itching, urinary tract infection and osteoporosis.
The psychological symptoms are:
- Mood swings
Advice on menopause:
- The intake of coffee, tea and other spicy food should be minimized, otherwise the symptoms will worsen.
- Enough dairy products should be consumed.
- Sufficient exercise should be done to prevent osteoporosis
- Sufficient nutrients should be included in the diet
- Adequate amount of sleep is required.
Thus menopause is an important phase in a woman’s life and all the necessary precautions should be taken to combat the physical and psychological symptoms associated with it.