Women with Epilepsy do not need to worry about pregnancy complications as they are expected to conceive normally and have a normal delivery. They can easily have a normal and healthy child and there are very low percentages of complications too. Below given are some of the effects of epilepsy you need to keep in mind during pregnancy and follow some tips as well.
- Plan your pregnancy after consulting with your neurologist.
- If you get pregnant, make sure that you visit your neurologist immediately as your medicine dosage would be changed during pregnancy.
- The amount of side effects which the baby would face is pretty low, as much as 4 to 5 percent and even these can be tackled with ultra sound treatments.
- If there is any defect identified in the growth of the baby, it is the choice of the parents if they want to continue the pregnancy or abort the fetus.
- If the pregnant lady is deprived of sleep, it can trigger seizures and hence, taking adequate sleep is very important.
- Make sure you get your neurologist involved during the entire period of pregnancy and get your prescription changed whenever necessary.