Adenoidectomy is a surgical procedure performed to remove the mass of lymphoid tissue behind the nasal passages called adenoids.
Reasons why Adenoidectomy is Needed
- Recurrent earaches
- Chronic infections
- Impaired breathing
Adenoidectomy is a day care procedure, i.e., the patient is released on the same day.
- In case of mild throat pain, painkillers are provided
- The patient is given prophylactic antibiotics for 1 week.
- Mild bleeding from mouth/ nose and/ or bad breath may be observed which subsides spontaneously.
- RESTRICTIONS: drugs like aspirin products should be avoided for 2 weeks post surgery.
- Patient is advised to consume high amount of fluids.
In case a child is suffering from ear infections like glue ears, grommets (tiny plastic tubes) may be inserted into the ear drum as treatment.
Grommet insertion is a day care procedure.
- There is generally not much pain, if required, painkillers are provided.
- The patient is given antibiotic ear drops.
- Mild bleeding or ooze may be observed which gradually subsides- clean with cotton wipes.
- RESTRICTIONS: Ears to be kept dry for 1 week. No swimming for 1 month.
- Patient can resume normal routine next day.