There are very few precautions which are to be taken during pregnancy. The precautions are very important as failing to do so may cause trouble for both mother and the child inside the womb. Lack of precautions can result in following complications:
- Pre-term labour
- Antepartum Haemorrhage (bleeding in mother before the birth of the baby)
- PROM (earlier rupture of membranes)
- Oligohydramnios (decreased amniotic fluid in the womb)
- IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction)
Here are some activities which must be avoided during pregnancy to avoid above mentioned complications:
- Smoking (Active and Passive both) and consumption of alcohol can cause Oligohydramnios and IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction).
- Cycling and running on the road, as they can cause the mother to fall because of the shift in the centre of gravity of the body.
- Amusement park rides, weight lifting and different types of exercises.
- Hot water tub bath and Sauna bath. After hot water tub bath, the mother may receive vasovagal attack and, it might decrease the blood supply to body and brain. The body temperature also rises and makes the body feel dehydrated, which affects the baby as well.
- Body massage. Body massage should not be done by non-trained masseuses. Massage should only be done if it is prescribed as part of physiotherapy for aches and pains.
- This may lead to infection.
If above precautions are taken seriously, the mother can have a happy and healthy pregnancy.